On May 1, 2010 Miss Megan made her First Holy Communion. After a year of preparations through her G.I.F.T. (CCD, PSR) classes the day finally came!
When Mass began, Fr. Frank and the alter attendants walked to the alter and sat down. The First Communicants were walked to their seat by their parents. Since our last name starts with the letter A we were first. Any mistakes we made would be followed by everyone else doing the same thing!!!
The song Canon in D was played during our entrance. The second I heard the first note I teared up. This is the song I walked down the aisle to at my and Ron's wedding. By the time we reached the alter my eyes were so full of tears I couldn't see anything or look at anyone.
Every little girl looked beautiful and every little boy handsome walking down the aisle to their seats. It was more than my emotions could take! I finally broke down and asked Ron for my first tissue!!!
During the homily Father Frank called the children to the alter where they all sat and faced the congregation. He talked directly to them and everything he said was so they could understand. Megan glanced at me once in awhile with a big smile on her face.
A lot of the children had "jobs" to do for the preparation of gifts (bringing the communion bread, wine, and offerings to the priest). Megan's job was to bring the Holy Water to the alter. The day I found out her job I started praying her Allen/Zedalis clumsiness did not decide to show itself on May 1st! Prayers worked and she carried it down to the alter effortlessly! Whew! And yes, I was teary-eyed again.
Then came the moment we were all waiting for. Time for Megan to receive her first official "body and blood of Christ". Thankfully, we were not first but as we made our way to the alter I couldn't hold the tears back any more. It was such a proud moment for me. My baby looked gorgeous and so happy. A few tears escaped my eyes and actually rolled down my cheek.
Once we went back to our seats I was able to calm myself down by watching the other children and their reactions to drinking the wine. One little girl walked back to her seat holding her belly and another one looked like she was going to throw up!!!! Funny.
After mass we had a little party at the house for Miss Megan. It was her special day and we are thankful we were able to spend it with many members of the family.
Megan received some money for her big day so we allowed her take some of it and buy herself a new bigger girl bike! She made sure we went bike shopping on Sunday even though it was raining and she wouldn't be able to ride the bike. Luckily there were a few breaks between the rain showers and she was able to take her bike for a few test drives!!!
I am so glad this day has special memories for you all! There is so much that leads up to this momentous day and it appears all that hard work was worth it. Congratulations to Megan!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the new bike...oh yea and that she didn't get clumsy :)
ReplyDeleteI was crying too! It was such a special day! Megan looked beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mrs. Heis! Glad I wasn't the only one crying!!!! Good to know you still check the blog! Megan will be thrilled!!!
ReplyDelete